Home Safety Grant
This grant is available to homeowners to carry out urgent repairs where there is a serious risk of harm to the occupiers. For example, if your home suffers from:
- Serious electrical faults
- Structural collapse
- Inadequate heating
These grants are only available in cases where the offer of a Decent Homes Loan is inappropriate, due to lack of available equity or where timescales are an issue.
To qualify for a Home Safety Grant:
- An applicant must have an owner’s interest in the property
- Category 1 hazards must be present. Category 1 hazards are those that present a severe threat to health or safety
- The grant must be repaid if you move home within five years
- A local land charge is secured against the against the property
How does the application process work?
A Technical Officer will carry out a survey of your home to assess the need for repairs. Following this:
- Specifications and estimates will be produced to accompany your application
- A caseworker will support you throughout this process
- If your grant is agreed, one of our staff will supervise the work on your behalf from start to finish